Friday, June 20, 2014
So last night I did a little experiment. I opened up iTunes and set it to shuffle play, and created tonight's playlist in that manner. To be honest, though, I skipped the tracks that wouldn't fit on the realpunkradio network. But anything that could possibly work was grabbed, and tonight's show was played in that exact same order.
This admittedly lazy method of programming a show actually worked! It chose some of the usual acts you head on Live Ledge (Replacements, Elvis Costello, Clash), along with quite a few that I've ignored for years and years (Gruesomes, Obits, Future Primitives, Muck and the Mires). Even better, outside of "I Will Dare", shuffle tended to pick more obscure tracks. Quite a few of the regular artists were represented by live tracks, radio appearances, and b-sides from expanded reissues.
Grab this via the usual sources, including iTunes and Stitcher, or...
DIRECTLY STREAM/DOWNLOAD BY CLICKING HERE!!!
1. The`Figgs, Tint
2. Mono Men, Pisswater
3. The Clash, Career Opportunities (Mickey Foote Demo)
4. The Jesus & Mary Chain, Head
5. D Generation, Rise And Fall
6. The Gruesomes, Heart Full of Pain
7. Muck and the Mires, I'd Do It All Over Again
8. The Meteors, Yellow Zone
9. Black Diamonds, I Want Need Love You
10. The Saints, The Ballad
11. Graham Parker, Saturday Nite Is Dead
12. The Hairlips, The Way She Goes New
13. The Distillers, Lordy Lordy
14. Mind Spiders, One Step Ahead
15. The Jam, But I'm Different Now
16. The Dictators, The Next Big Thing
17. The Jim Jones Revue, Big Len
18. The Replacements, I Will Dare
19. Newtown Neurotics, Hypocrite
20. Obits, Widow Of My Dreams
21. Elvis Costello, Call On Me
22. Rise Against, Nervous Breakdown
23. The Future Primitives, I'm The Sound
24. Slobberbone, Stumblin'
25. Avengers, Thin White Line
26. Crass, Where Next Columbus?
27. The Muffs, Agony
28. Sleater-Kinney, Stay Where You Are
29. Les Sexareenos, Carolina, Yeah!
30. Descendents, M 16
31. The Heartbreakers, I Wanna Be Loved
32. Pansy Division, Headbanger
33. Wire, I 2 X U
Friday, June 13, 2014
This past Monday, Rik Mayall, whose character, Rick, was the "pompous anarchist" of the cast, passed away due to a heart attack at the age of 56. Tonight's opening segments are a tribute to Mayall, including some classic Young Ones bits and music, along with some material from the years after the program ceased production.
Besides the Mayall tribute, tonight's show is a "covers" episode, featuring remakes of songs made famous by The Replacements, Clash, Rolling Stones, Undertones, and even Paul Abdul. Grab this one from the usual sources, or...
STREAM/DOWNLOAD BY CLICKING HERE!!
1. Cliff Richard & The Young Ones, Living Doll
2. Madness, House of Fun
3. Motorhead, Ace of Spades
4. Rik Mayall & Adrian Edmondson, I'm Evil
5. Adrian Edmunson & The Bad Shepherds, London Calling/Manchester Calling/The Monaghan
6. Pipeline Pete, I'm in Trouble
7. The Standouts, Color Me Impressed
8. Lawnmower, Answering Machine
9. The Skinny, Bastards Of Young
10. Hollis Brown, Rock & Roll
11. The Royal Court of China, Heart Full of Soul
12. Sand Rubies, Starry Eyes
13. The Fuzztones, I Can't Control Myself
14. Alex Chilton, Little GTO
15. The Plimsouls, Dizzy Miss Lizzy
16. Old 97's, Career Opportunities
17. Mystery Girls, These Boots Are Made For Walkin'
18. The Hold Steady, Closer To The Stars
19. Lords Of Altamont, 6 Days On The Road
20. Radio Birdman, You're Gonna Miss Me
21. The Saints, River Deep Mountain High
22. The Doughboys, Route 66
23. Groovie Ghoulies, 2000 Man
24. CTMF, She Said Yeah
25. The Problematics, Teenage Kicks
26. The Dictators, California Sun
27. Supersuckers, Never Let Me Down Again
28. The Rubber City Rebels, No Feelings
29. Dead Kennedys, I Fought the Law
30. Swingin' Neckbreakers, Bama Lama Bama-Loo
31. The Cramps, Mule Skinner Blues
32. Nozems, Heart Of Gold
33. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Straight Up
Friday, June 06, 2014
This is why I was so excited with the news that Centro-Matic was heading to Icon Lounge on June 10. Finally, a band that I truly love hitting our city! A band that regularly hits my end of the year lists!
A couple of weeks ago, I had the privilege of interviewing Centro-Matic leader Will Johnson to help promote the show. Will and his band are swinging through the area to promote two releases. Redo the Stacks is an expanded reissue of his first record under the Centro-Matic name, while the just-released Take Pride In Your Long Odds is a brand new album financed via Pledge Music.
Tonight, I played our interview in its entirety. We talked about not only both of these releases, but also the benefits of Pledge Music, Will's dislike of streaming services, and many other topics.
Besides the interview, tonight's show is a "new release" broadcast, featuring nothing but brand new music from the likes of 7 Seconds, Shonen Knife, Bob Mould, and many more. I also debuted a demo by my son's band, The Pullouts!
Grab this episode from iTunes, Stitcher, or...
DIRECTLY STREAM/DOWNLOAD BY CLICKING HERE!!!
1. Lords Of Altamont, Live With Me
2. Centro-matic, Parade Of Choosers
3. Centro-Matic, Salty Disciple
4. King Buzzo, Useless King of the Punks
5. Hollis Brown, Train Round The Bend
6. 7SECONDS, 30 Years (And Still Going Wrong)
7. Shonen Knife, Bad Luck Song
8. Bob Mould, Little Glass Pill
9. Bob Mould, I Don't Know You Anymore
10. Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires, The Company Man
11. Parquet Courts, Black and White
12. Jack Ruby, Hit & Run
13. Crime, Hot Wire My Heart
14. Hollywood Brats, Sick On You
15. Electric Eels, Cyclotron
16. Sleaford Mods, From Rags to Richards
17. Eastlink, Gina
18. Cool Ghouls, Things I Seen
19. The Madcaps, All I Really Wanna
20. The Pullouts, Matrimony
21. Fucked Up, The Art Of Patrons
22. Watery Love, Competing Odors
23. Cheap Girls, Slow Nod
24. The Orwells, Southern Comfort
25. The Seeds, Can't Seem To Make You Mine