Wednesday, February 02, 2011
The Ledge, Episode 59: Big Brother 11's Lydia Tavera
Unfortunately, there aren't many like Ms. Ryder, especially when it comes to reality shows. Big Brother is the perfect example. Every year I single out a couple of contestants as potential music junkies...and almost every year I'm depressed by the second day of the live feeds when they start talking about their love of Britney Spears and movies featuring Julia Roberts.
One person in the 2010 cast (season 11) immediately stood out, though. Lydia Tavera had the look of somebody who has been to her fair share of club shows - tons of tats, constantly changing hair color and style, interesting wardrobe choices, etc. I never really figured out if she was indeed a music head, though, as the rest of the cast had typical middle-of-the-road tastes.
I still held out hope, however, and after great Ledge appearances by season 12's Ragan Fox and Matt Hoffman I threw out an invitation to Ms. Lydia. Not only did she accept, but she responded with a song list that perfectly fits the format of the show. Not only were her band choices top-notch, the individual songs weren't the obvious picks.
Besides the music, Lydia chatted about her life in the Big Brother house. You can hear this episode at theledge.mevio.com, or directly download it here.
Here's the tunes Lydia selected for the show:
1. Andrew W.K., She Is Beautiful
2. Ramones, We Want the Airwaves
3. Clash, Lost in the Supermarket
4. Less Than Jake, The Science of Selling Yourself Short
5. Reel Big Fish, Hate You
6. The Living End, Short Notice
7. AFI, Girls Not Grey
8. Tim Armstrong, Into Action
9. Rancid, Fall Back Down
10. The Distillers, Drain the Blood
11. Spinerette, Ghetto Love
12. Goldfinger, Counting the Days
13. Alkaline Trio, Mercy Me
14. Social Distortion, Don't Take Me For Granted
15. Social Distortion, Winners and Losers
16. Green Day, Ha Ha You're Dead
17. The Network, Teenagers From Mars
18. Death On Wednesday, No Regrets