Born Nicholas Christian Hopkins on this day in 1944, Nicky was a part of the London blues scene that ultimately spawned the Rolling Stones. His first recording was on "Country Line Special", a single released by legendary blues harmonica player Cyril Davies. Illness prevented him from being a full-time band member, but he became one of producer Shel Talmy's favorite studio musicians.
Although he ultimately released a number of solo albums, and worked on the soundtracks of many movies in his latter years, complications from Crohn's disease ultimately cut short his life. He died on September 6, 1994, not long after undergoing intestinal surgery.
Today's show includes just a glimpse of the classic tracks that include his wonderful playing. For more info on Hopkins, you should pick up And On Piano...Nicky Hopkins: The Extraordinary Life of Rock's Greatest Session Man.
You can find this show at the usual online spots, or...
DIRECTLY STREAM/DOWNLOAD BY CLICKING HERE!!
1. Rolling Stones, Loving Cup
2. Cyril Davies & His Rhythm & Blues All Stars, Country Line Special
3. The Who, A Legal Matter
4. The Kinks, Session Man
5. The Pretty Things, Midnight To Six Man
6. The Move, Wild Tiger Woman
7. Jefferson Airplane, Somebody To Love
8. The Beatles, Revolution 1
9. John Lennon, How Do You Sleep?
10. Jackie Lomax, Sour Milk Sea
11. Jamming With Edward, The Boudoir Stomp
12. Graham Parker, Stupefaction
13. The Jayhawks, Martin's Song
14. Nicky Hopkins, Waiting For The Band