Bits and Pieces

Sorry I haven't posted much lately; it's been sort of a blah week. Nothing but work and boredom. I must thank my good buddy Ben Hanten for fixing the layout of this blog; there's now links to my website and message board, along with a link to send me an email.

Nothing has really pissed me off lately...besides the same old stuff. I'm continuing to be amazed at the horrific war coverage on Fox News. The facts just don't seem to matter to these guys. I found it funny that after running with the Peter Arnett story for a full day on Sunday they had the nerve to criticize the other news networks for their coverage on the Geraldo Rivera controversy. And isn't there something fishy behind that whole story? Wasn't it Saturday that Rivera filed the infamous story? What was going on behind the scenes between the Bush administration and Fox that led to a three day wait before he was kicked out of Iraq?

Musically, there wasn't much this week. The new White Stripes is beyond excellent, and the And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead EP is pretty cool. I also picked up a compilation disc of gospel artists covering Dylan songs. It's surprisingly good, especially the hilarious duet between Dylan and Mavis Staples. The track starts with Dylan and his band, then you hear Bob say "hey, look who's hear. It's Mavis Staples". They banter a bit before they go off on their duet. It's almost like an old-time radio show.

Since I didn't spend much on music, I guess I had some extra cash for DVD's. Of course, I bought the Wilco movie, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart. It's well worth purchasing. Besides some great footage of the band recording and playing live, there's a warts-and-all look at the departure of Jay Bennett and the ridiculous fight with their record company, which led to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot coming out on Nonesuch Records instead of Reprise.

I also picked up Secretary, Far From Heaven, the Beatles Anthology, Married With Children Vol. 2, the Vans Warped Tour, and a used copy of the deluxe Lord of the Rings movie. I've gotta stay out of the video store!

Comments

Popular Posts