KRRO, Elvis, and Cafe Press Merch

There's not a lot to report this week. I had to handle a bit of a controversy on the KRRO this morning. It seems that my comments last week about the abortion demonstrators raised a bit of a commotion. A couple of these morons had already called my family business claiming they were never going to visit again. Others had written or called the KRRO. What's funny about the situation is that the entire rant was about how certain subjects should not even be debated as it's too emotional and no minds will be changed. Oh well; it's my gig to inspire debate. I knew this was coming up, so I had a lighter topic. I put together a musical version of Jump the Shark, with Kiss, Aerosmith, Metallica, Van Halen, and the Goo Goo Dolls. KRRO plays all of these acts, so I knew I'd still piss some people off.

It's a slow week for new music. I picked up the latest trio of Elvis Costello reissues. None of these rank with his best work, but I've always had a soft spot for his country album (Almost Blue) and his covers project (Kojak Variety). All three (the third is Goodbye Cruel World) feature a second disc of outtakes, demos, and live cuts. Costello's extensive liner notes are also worthy of reading; I pray that someday he'll write his autobiography.

I also picked up the expanded edition of the Velvet Underground's Live at Max's Kansas City. It's now two discs long with an extra 11 songs. Like all of the Velvets official live albums, the sound quality isn't the greatest, but they did do a good job at cleaning up the tapes. I just wish that the record company would release a live album from their peak years, with John Cale and Mo Tucker (she's missing on the Max's disc). Recorded during the time when they were also putting together the Loaded album, it's Lou Reed at his poppiest, upbeat period.

The real thrill of the week came Monday, when my box from Cafe Press came in the mail. I've designed some Get Out of Town merch at this site, and had to order a few things for myself. Besides the toddler shirt you see in the photo below this post, I also bought some coffee mugs and cups for myself and some friends. I also purchased a thong that I'm dying to give to a hot woman who's willing to model it for me. Anybody out there interested?

Comments

Popular Posts