Last.FM End of Year Charts

These charts really don't reflect the full years, as I really didn't utilize Last.FM's features until I purchased my iTouch in mid-April or so. Thus, it is no surprise that the album chart is dominated by the Replacements reissues and the various Paul Westerberg download releases...along with box sets and reissues by the Pogues, Jesus and Mary Chain, Whiskeytown, etc.

Next year's charts will reflect the full year.

Most-played Artists For 2008

1. Paul Westerberg
2. The Replacements
3. R.E.M.
4. Radiohead
5. Bob Dylan
6. Ryan Adams
7. Wilco
8. The Pogues
9. Pavement
10. Whiskeytown
11. The Cure
12. U2
13. The Hold Steady
14. Lucinda Williams
14. Bruce Springsteen
16. Beck
16. Camper Van Beethoven
16. The Rolling Stones
19. Son Volt
20. Blue Mountain
20. The Jesus and Mary Chain
22. The Triffids
23. Sebadoh
24. Squeeze
25. The Baseball Project


Most-Played Albums For 2008


1. Paul Westerberg – 49:00
2. The Replacements – All Shook Down
3. The Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me
4. The Replacements – Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash
5. The Replacements – Let It Be
6. The Replacements – Don't Tell A Soul
7. The Replacements – Tim
8. Pavement – Brighten The Corners: Nicene Creedence Ed.
9. Bob Dylan – Tell Tale Signs: the Bootleg Series Vol. 8
10. Ryan Adams & The Cardinals – Cardinology
11. The Replacements – Pleased to Meet Me
12. The Jesus and Mary Chain – The Power Of Negative Thinking: B-Sides And Rarities
12. Lucinda Williams – Little Honey
14. Sebadoh – Bubble & Scrape
15. Deerhunter – Microcastle-Weird Era Continued
16. The Replacements – Hootenanny
17. The Replacements – Don't Tell a Soul
18. The Hold Steady – Stay Positive
19. Paul Westerberg – 3oclockkreep
19. Beck – Modern Guilt
21. Liz Phair – Exile in Guyville
21. Paul Westerberg – Folker
23. The Cure – 4:13 Dream
24. The Smiths – The Sound Of The Smiths (The Very Best Of)
25. Paul Westerberg – Come Feel Me Tremble

Comments

Anonymous said…
Or that maybe Last.FM is used by iTouch tech nerds that really don’t reflect mainstream American tastes or awareness. Keep in mind that over half the people in this country don’t have cable TV, computer access to anything, and certainly don’t walk around with expensive hand-held gadgets. Once again, I could take you on city tours doing ‘man/woman on the street interviews‘, and the results would be that most people haven’t even heard of most of your favorite bands. And Liz Phair!? Are you kidding? Lol I asked two hard core music fans what they thought about The Replacements, and got no reaction.

Kurt
Scott said…
Why do you care so much about what I listen to? I have never stated that my tastes reflect mainstream culture. I like what I like, just the same as you.
Anonymous said…
"Thus, it is no surprise that the album chart is dominated by the Replacements reissues and the various Paul Westerberg download releases...along with..."

Response: And when you’re not critiquing music, you could be press secretary for a Congresswoman I know. I just thought, "..it is no surprise that the album chart is dominated by..”, was a rather deceptive argument against mainstream tastes. I'm not convinced 'I like what I like' requires album chart analysis.
Kurt
Scott said…
You just don't get it. It's the list of what albums and artists I played the most. Why is such a simple concept so tough for you to comprehend?

There is no discussion anywhere of "mainstream tastes". It's no surprise that a year that saw reissues of the Replacmenets and new material by Westerberg would end up being the tunes I (that's me) played the most.
Anonymous said…
Unfortunately I do get it. Your multi-purpose evasiveness tactic is used for the music argument too. And that wasn't you that used the word "charts"? But that’s fine - as long as you don‘t write another essay on why a new arena won‘t make money. What's next, a list of your favorite TV shows and winter socks?

Kurt
Scott said…
No evasiveness was intended. Last.FM keeps track of what you've played on your computer and/or portable players, and gives you a number of options for personal charts. I've posted them many times in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.

You should sign up and send me a friend request. I'll listen to your "station" and maybe decide I like some of your stuff.

You are right about one thing, though. I firmly don't believe we need a new Arena.

Popular Posts