The Ledge #581: 2013
Generally speaking, when I do shows devoted to years of the past I go way back. Like, at the bare minimum 25 years, and as far back as 50 years. Looking at my shows from 2013, though, I decided tonight I'd do something a little different. Let's go through some of my favorite records from only ten years ago.
While I am one that believes there's great rock and roll released each and every years (despite what many of my fellow oldsters proclaim), 2013 was even better than usual. There's all sorts of lofi indie power pop from the likes of Mind Spiders, Bad Sports, and Fidlar. There's the discovery of a wonderful up and coming songwriter named Lydia Loveless. There's the second release by the reformed Superchunk (my favorite record of the year).
And, of course, there's also the return of The Replacements. Yes, this happened due to a tragedy, as Slim Dunlap had suffered a stroke the previous year. But what a joy to hear Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson quickly recording a handful of their favorite oldies. Even better was the Songs For Slim singles series which saw all kinds of Slim's friends recording their favorite Dunalp tunes.
As for this week's edition of "52 Weeks of Teenage Kicks", I once again have a band I wasn't acquainted with before. The Vamps are a UK band that formed in 2012, and over the next few years their first two records went gold in their home country. 2013 saw an EP called Can We Dance that included the live cover of "Teenage Kicks" that opens tonight's show. And like always, I must again plead with y'all for more versions of "Teenage Kicks". If you are a musician, or have any contact with artists that could record their own take on the classic, please contact me!
1. The Vamps - Teenage Kicks (Live)
2. The Replacements - I'm Not Sayin'
3. The Replacements - Lost Highway
4. Chris Mars - Radio Hook Word Hit
5. The Minus 5 Feat. Curtiss A - Rockin Here Tonight
6. The Young Fresh Fellows - Loud Loud Loud Loud Guitars
7. Grant Hart - So Far from Heaven
8. Two Cow Garage - The Little Prince and Johnny Toxic
9. Hickoids - If Drinkin Don't Kill Me, Kill Me
10. CTMF Wild Billy Chyldish - The Second Generation Punks
11. Tommy Keene - Have You Seen My Baby? (Flamin' Groovies)
12. Tim Timebomb - Honor Is All We Know
13. Pat Todd & The Rankoutsiders - Small Town Rock Ain't Dead
14. Wooden Shjips - Back To Land
15. Obits - Taste The Diff
16. The Night Marchers - Loud Dumb and Mean
17. FIDLAR - Cheap Beer
18. Warm Soda - Jeanie Loves Pop
19. Lydia Loveless - Boy Crazy
20. Bleached - Looking for a Fight
21. Shannon And The Clams - Rip VanWinkle
22. The Hillbilly Moon Explosion - Motorhead Girl
23. The Men - Half Angel Half Light
24. Mind SpidersInside You
25. Bad Sports - Wahed Up
26. The Dirtbombs - Crazy For You
27. Thee Oh Sees - Toe Cutter - Thumb Buster
28. Ty Segall - You're The Doctor
29. Mikal Cronin - Am I Wrong
30. Kid Congo & the Pink Monkey Birds - Killer Diller
31. The Connection - Wrong Side of 25
32. Shocked Minds - Kalamazoo
33. The Tall Boys - The Man Who Walked On The Moon
34. Terry Malts - Two Faces
35. Telekinesis - Empathetic People
36. Superchunk -FOH