The Ledge #590: S.W. Lauden Takeover!


A few days ago, power pop expert S.W. Lauden reached out to me to see if I'd be interested in helping promote his new book, Remember The Lightning - A Guitar Pop Journal, Vol. 2. Duh, of course as a big fan of Lauden's writing I was honored at the request. But I had a better idea. I asked him if he'd like to take over the show for a couple of sets. So tonight's episode includes eight tunes from bands covered in this fabulous book, along with Lauden's commentary.

But obviously that's not tonight's entire show, and honestly I had to do a quick change after news came out earlier this week that power pop legend Dwight Twilley had passed away. A big fan of is first hit, "I'm On Fire", along with his comeback albums of the early 80s, I quickly put together some originals and covers to help tell the story of a man who deserved a better fate in the record business.

It's also story time on this week's Ledge, as I recently attended the South Dakota Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Not only was I honored to be a part of the induction of the publication I wrote for in the 90s, Tempest, but I became acquainted with a surprisingly great record from Randall Zwarte, the former leader of a pretty big 80s/90s biker band, Zwarte.

Of course, there is also the continuing "52 Weeks of Teenage Kicks" series, and this week we head to Germany for a 2018 cover by Muff Potter. Like I do every week, I must again plead with y'all for more versions of "Teenage Kicks". If you are a musician, or have any contact with artists that could record their own take on the classic, please contact me!

1. Muff Potter - Teenage Kicks
2. Randall Zwarte Band - American Roads
3. Tom Waits - I Don't Wanna Grow Up
4. Joey Ramone - Stop Thinking About It
5. Star Collector - Crashin'
6. Oister - Pop Bottle
7. Dwight Twilley - I'm On Fire
8. Dwight Twilley - Gave It All Up For Rock & Roll
9. Dwight Twilley Band - Shark
10. Dwight Twilley - I'm back again
11. Dwight Twilley - Girls
12. Dwight Twilley - TV
13. Dwight Twilley - Doctor
14. Dwight Twilley - You're Gonna Lose That Girl
15. The Flashcubes - Alone In My Room
16. Lannie Flowers - That I Remember
17. Rainy Day Saints - I'm Losing You
18. Donovan's Brain - Sincerely
19. Uni Boys - Let's Watch A Movie
20. The Pretty Flowers - Hit Nothing
21. Kate Clover - Love You to Death
22. The Methadones - Guilty
23. Kurt Baker - Missed Connection
24. The Tisburys - When a Switch Flips
25. Couple - Now That I Can See
26. Extra Arms - Big Dogs
27. Sonny Vincent & Rocket From The Crypt - Through My Head
28. Rocket From The Crypt - Hippy Dippy Do
29. Chris Spedding - Wild In The Streets
30. Ty Segall - Standing At The Station

Comments

Popular Posts