The Ledge #597: More Replacements Tributes


Two weeks ago, I put together a show centered around seven different tribute records celebrating The Replacements. A couple of days after that episode was released I was contacted by a fan who noted that I had missed a couple of these sorts of records. After a bit of scrambing, I discovered that indeed I forgot all about some great fan-based compilatons.

Yes, that's the beauty of tonight's selections. These three records were unofficial collections of musicians that had come together via online fan boards. The first such set, Cover Me Impressed - Alt.Music.Replacements Tribute, is pretty self-explanatory collection of tunes compiled by a popular usenet group in 2002. The other two tributes, Bring Your Own Lampshade (2005) and Dead Man Fake: Bring Your Own Lampshade 2 (2009), came together through contributors on the wonderful Man Without Ties message board, and include both solo and band tracks written by Paul Westerberg. Highlighting both of those compilatons are tracks by our old friend Jeremy Porter. 

Besides a handful of recently acquired tunes, the rest of tonight's show features tracks from two fabulous new Cherry Red Records box sets, Looking For The Magic: American Power Pop In The Seventies and Into Tomorrow: The Spirit Of Mod 1983-2000. Cherry Red always excels at these types of compilations, and these two are no exception.

As for this week's "52 Weeks of Teenage Kicks", I've again opened and closed my show with entries. The show commences with a version by the veteran Irish band The Frank and Walters, and closes with UK pop-punkers Busted. 

Like I do every week, however, I must again plead with y'all for more versions of "Teenage Kicks". If you are a musician, or have any contact with artists that could record their own take on the classic, please contact me!


1. The Frank And Walters - Teenage Kicks

2. Ex-Supermodels - I'm In Trouble

3. The Blahs - Shutup

4. 3 Musky Tears - Little Mascara

5. The Regulars - Nowhere Is My Home

6. Kansas City Stars - One Wink At A Time

7. Jeremy Porter - Within Your Reach

8. SwingingParty & the Pain Makers - It's a Wonderful Lie

9. Nudge - Attitude

10. big swede and the swingset pol - Somethin' To Du

11. Elliot Hilton - Down Love

12. Wolfdog - Wild and Lethal

13. Jeremy Porter - Favorite Thing

14. Michael LuBrant - My Daydream

15. Jegtar - Lookin' up in Heaven

16. John Kloberdanz - I Will Dare

17. FreeRider - Merry Go Round/Someone Take the Wheel

18. Brendan Casey - Darling One

19. The DangerMen - Chips And Gravy

20. Stupidity feat. KeithStreng - A Monkey In A Suit (Is still a monkey)

21. Graham Parker & The Goldtops - That's Life (Live)

22. Girl With A Hawk - The Romantic

23. The Dahlmanns - Dancing With Joey Ramone

24. Big Star - When My Baby's Beside Me (Alternate Mix)

25. Television - See No Evil

26. Tuff Darts - All For The Love of Rock N'Roll

27. The Last - She Don't Know Why I'm Here

28. Sneakers - Decline And Fall

29. Milk 'n Cookies - Little, Lost And Innocent

30. The Untouchables - I Spy For The F.B.I.

31. James Taylor Quartet - The Money Spyder

32. The Barracudas - Next Time Around

33. The Milkshakes - I'm Talking About You

34. Ride - How Does It Feel To Feel?

35. Busted - Teenage Kicks


Comments

Popular Posts