The Ledge #730: Even More New Releases & Other Treats!
I ended last week's new release episode with a good dozen or so songs I did not find time to air. How could I handle that? That's not enough new tunes for a third show of new tunes? Should I just keep them in storage for the September series?
But then I remembered that today (8/21/26) was a momentous day for rock and roll. It's the day that Gravest Graves by The Cramps was coming out. For those living under a rock, here's the short story. After Lux Interior died in 2009, his partner Poison Ivy became a complete recluse. Reportedly, she didn't even open the mail containing the royalties from the inclusion of "Goo Goo Muck" in the Netflix show Wednesday.
At some point, In the Red Records head honcho Larry Hardy was visiting Ivy, and was stunned to find boxes and boxes of studio reels in her garage. He contacted Henry Rollins, who dropped everything to head across the country to bring them back to proper storage in Nashville. There they discovered reels and reels of recordings from the 1977 sessions with Alex Chilton that resulted in their first couple of singles.
Now this material has been released, and it's the archive find of the year. Seriously, there's no way that upcoming Beatles box set can compete with what should have been the very first Cramps album. So tonight's show kicks off with five tracks from this record, and I dare anyone to disagree that this is what rock and roll is supposed to be.
Besides the Cramps tracks, and the leftover new releases, I've got a ton of other archive and live tunes. There's also a set devoted to the 27th edition of the International Pop Overthrow series. There's a wonderful remix of a 46 year old power pop tune by the underrated Code Blue. And lots more!
What's your favorite recent reissue?
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE SHOW!
1. The Cramps - TV Set
2. The Cramps - Weekend On Mars (1977 Version)
3. The Cramps - Twist & Shout (1977 Version)
4. The Cramps - Hungry (1977 Version)
5. The Cramps - The Natives Are Restless (1977 Version)
6. The Pozers feat. Roger Joseph Manning Jr. - Somewhere in My 21
7. Spygenius - But Is It Powerpop
8. The Incurables - When I Grow Up
9. Curtis Suburban - I Can't Wait
10. Strawberry Alarm Clock - Primordial Soup
11. Ridel High - Defenseless
12. The Sences - I'll Give My Lovin
13. Code Blue - The Other End of Town
14. The Mountain Goats - Candlebox
15. Thee Cybermen - Bad Liqour
16. Friday My Lady - Stupid Bench
17. Gatecrash - Still Standing
18. The Feeders - Why Do We Fight
19. Jacket Burner - I Hate RnR
20. Handgrenade Hearts - She's a Nerd (Just Like Me)
21. The High Numbers - Got My Mojo Workin'
22. The Shandells - Mary, Mary
23. The Raevns - Outlaw Blues
24. Graham Parker & The Goldtops - Back To Schooldays (Live)
25. Camper Van Beethoven - (We're A) Bad Trip (Live in Nebraska 1986)
26. Wilco - Candyfloss [Live]
27. The Fall - Totally Wired (Live)
28. Peter Hook & The Light - Transmission (Live)
29. Red Rockers - Guns Of Revolution
30. The Muffs - I Need You
31. Downliners Sect - Do The Dog
32. Downliners Sect - Leader Of The Sect
33. Downliners Sect - All Night Worker (UK single version)
34. Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action (Alternate Mix)



Comments