Rural Ledge-ucation #36: Christmas

It's probably not a shocker to anybody that I'm not a fan of traditional Christmas schock. There's few things harder to deal with than the sappy, MOR holiday music I must endure whenever I enter a retailer after around November 10 or so.
That's doesn't mean, though, that I hate ALL Christmas music. Today's show is the types of tunes that do bring a smile to my face, and quite honestly this is my most varied show ever! There's a bit of soul, blues, country, folk, singer/songwriter, and (of course) a bit of alternative rock. Most importantly, outside of a couple of tracks there are NO novelty songs.
Seriously, this is the perfect soundtrack for shopping, wrapping, or even opening Christmas presents. Subscribe via iTunes, stream it through Stitcher, or directly download it HERE!

1. Loudon Wainwright III, Christmas Morning
2. James Brown, Merry Christmas I Love You
3. Detroit Junior, Christmas Day
4. Count Sidney & His Dukes, Soul Christmas
5. Andre Williams, Sorry Mr. Santa
6. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, Ain't No Chimneys In The Projects
7. Leroy Carr, Christmas In Jail-Ain't That A Pain
8. Seasick Steve & The Level Devils, Christmas Prison Blues
9. Butterbeans and Susie, Papa Ain't No Santa Claus(Mama Ain't No Christmas Tree)
10. Lightnin' Hopkins, Santa Downer
11. Huey "Piano" Smith & Clowns, Rock N Roll Santa Claus
12. E (from The Eels), Everything's Gonna Be Cool This Christmas
13. Matthew Ryan, It's Christmas Time
14. Josh Rouse, Christmas With Jesus
15. Steve Earle, Christmas In Washington
16. Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan, Time of the Season
17. Aimee Mann, I Was Thinking I Could Clean Up For Christmas
18. Bill Janovitz, Please Come Home for Christmas
19. My Morning Jacket, Christmas Must Be Tonight
20. Jerry Lee Lewis, I Can't Have A Merry Christmas, Mary (Without You)
21. Johnny Cash, I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day
22. Buck Owens & Susan Raye, Tomorrow Is Christmas Day
23. Linda Cassady, Is Santa Claus A Hippy?
24. Loretta Lynn, Christmas Without Daddy
25. Thin White Rope, Christmas Skies
26. The Long Ryders, Christmas In New Zealand
27. Scott Kempner, Merry Xmas, Baby
28. The BellRays, Merry Christmas Baby
29. Harry Lee, Rockin' On A Reindeer  
30. Becky Lee Beck, I Want a Beatle for Christmas
31. Chuck Berry, Merry Christmas Baby
32. Shane MacGowan & The Popes, Christmas Lullaby
33. The Pogues, Fairytale Of New York
34. Tom Waits, Silent Night/Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis

Comments

Popular Posts