Rural Ledge-ucation #26: Hank Williams

In this house, if the name Hank Williams is mentioned it's obviously the original we're talking about. Ok, maybe some of Hank III's moments are worthy of consideration, but never ever ever do we give Hank Jr. the time of day! Junior may be in the news this week, but the real news in the family is the release of The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams. A decade or so ago, Bob Dylan was handed a notebook of unfinished songs that was reportedly among his possessions when he died on January 1, 1953. Originally intended to be a Bob Dylan project, he eventually rounded up some of his songwriting buddies to record their own versions of some of these tunes. A handful are represented on today's show, along with other covers of Hank's greatest tunes. Hank also makes a few appearances here, culled from the mammoth Time/Life box set of radio performances from 1952. The show is available on iTunes, Stitcher, and many other services, or directly download it HERE!

1. Hank Williams, Mansion on the Hill
2. Bob Dylan, The Love That Faded
3. Bob Dylan, I Can't Get You Off Of My Mind
4. Jack White, You Know That I Know
5. Lucinda Williams, I'm So Happy I Found You
6. Del Shannon, Hey Good Lookin'
7. Jerry Lee Lewis, Your Cheatin' Heart
8. Johnny Cash & Waylon Jennings, The Night Hank Williams Came To Town
9. Johnny Cash, On the Evening Train
10. Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Why Don't You Love Me
11. Mike Ness, Six More Miles
12. Evan Dando, Tribute To Hank Williams
13. Keith Richards, You Win Again
14. Levon Helm, You'll Never Again Be Mine
15. Hank III, I'm A Long Gone Daddy
16. Hank Williams Jr., Medley: You Win Again/Cold Cold Heart/I Can't Help...
17. Hank Williams, Move It On Over
18. Hank Williams, Lonesome Whistle
19. The Replacements, Hey Good Lookin' (Outtake)
20. Paul Westerberg, Lost Highway
21. Jakob Dylan, Oh Mama Come Home
22. Neko Case, Alone And Forsaken
23. Hank Williams, I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You)
24. Hank Williams, Have I Told You Lately That I Love You
25. Gram Parsons & The Flying Burrito Brothers, You Win Again
26. Ryan Adams, Lovesick Blues
27. Jimmie Dale Gilmore, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
28. Camper Van Beethoven, Six More Miles To The Graveyard
29. Jason & The Scorchers, Honky Tonk Blues (Live)
30. Hank Williams, Cold Cold Heart

Comments

Popular Posts