The Ledge #415: Love Kills
No no no. I went the opposite direction with tonight's very special episode. With the exception of the opening track (hey, I absolutely have to play "Valentine" by The Replacements), tonight's selections are songs of bitter despair. Divorce and other kinds of breakups. Love gone wrong. Love that kills!
In some respects, the majority of tonight's tracks is a precursor to the Rural Ledge-ucation show that used to air on RPR every Sunday morning. There's over an hour of Americana and singer/songwriter selections, and that's simply because those are the artists that know how to sing about heartbreak.
But the last 45 minutes or so are filled with the more typical tunes heard on the show. The Clash, The Buzzcocks, Husker Du, before ending with the admittedly obvious Public Image LTD. tune "This Is Not a Love Song".
After listening, please go purchase those tracks you enjoy! You can find this show at almost any podcast site, including iTunes and Stitcher...or
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE SHOW!
1. The Replacements, Valentine (Live)
2. Paul Westerberg, Best Thing That Never Happened
3. Paul Westerberg, Positively 4th Street
4. Bob Dylan, Idiot Wind
5. Richard & Linda Thompson, Don't Renege On Our Love
6. Lydia Loveless, Head
7. Lydia Loveless, Desire
8. Sarah Shook & the Disarmers, Dwight Yoakam
9. Amy Rigby, Breakup Boots
10. Liz Phair, Divorce Song
11. Wilco, I Must Be High
12. Uncle Tupelo, Give Back The Key To My Heart
13. Ryan Adams, Come Pick Me Up
14. Graham Parker, Protection
15. Slobberbone, Gimme Back My Dog
16. Elvis Costello, No Action
17. Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Party Girl
18. Shane MacGowan & The Popes, That Woman's Got Me Drinking
19. The Clash, Train in Vain
20. Joe Strummer, Love Kills
21. Ramones, Love Kills
22. Circle Jerks, Love Kills
23. The Creeping Ivies, Love Kills
24. Radio Birdman, Love Kills
25. Hüsker Dü, Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely
26. The Buzzcocks, You Say You Don't Love Me
27. Pagans, What's This Shit Called Love?
28. Public Image Ltd., This Is Not A Love Song