The Ledge #524: Birthday Covers
When I read that the 35th anniversary date of the release of the fifth Replacements full-length album, Pleased to Meet Me, fell on a "Ledge" night, it obviously became the focal point for a theme. I decided to celebrate the birthday by recreating the album's track listing with covers of each and every song.
This became a bit of an issue, however, as some songs were missing from my initial search through my archives. And while I inevitably found some of the missing pieces, I still was short two songs just days before tonight's show. Luckily, I was alerted to a message board compilation of Replacements covers that included a track donated by our friend Jeremy Porter. Since this comp also included a version of "Red Red Wine", I quickly contacted him to see if he had the whole release! Well, not only did he have the needed track, he actually played on it! The Regulars were his high school band, and on this cover he played guitar and provided backing vocals! Yes, I was set!
Unfortunately, a few minutes in my show I was informed that June 17, 1987 was not the actual release date for the album. "Trouble Boys" author Bob Mehr tweeted, "Every June 17, I try not to be a killjoy to those celebrating the release of The Replacements' Pleased to Meet Me on this date. But, once again, I must point out that the album actually came out April 27, 1987."
Well, I decided to carry on with the celebration anyway, and also included a set devoted to the demos and outtakes that Tommy Stinson recorded during the album's sessions. If you love his later solo band, Bash and Pop, you'll really dig these rare tracks.
To fill up the rest of the show, I included covers of two other albums that recently saw their 50th birthdays. David Bowie's "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars" came out June 16, 1972, and my favorite record of all time, Exile On Main Street by the Rolling Stones, came out on May 26, 1972. It's a fun, varied show that should appeal to fans of all three of these legendary records.
I would love it if every listener bought at least one record I played on either of these shows. These great artists deserve to be compensated for their hard work, and every purchase surely helps not only pay their bills but fund their next set of wonderful songs. And if you buy these records directly from the artist or label, please let them know you heard these tunes on The Ledge! Let them know who is giving them promotion! You can find this show at almost any podcast site, including iTunes and Stitcher...or
1. The Get Up Kids, Beer For Breakfast
2. Cockeyed Ghost, I.O.U.
3. Brad Shepherd, Alex Chilton
4. Bnlx, I Don't Know
5. The Rail, Nightclub Jitters
6. Addison Blue, The Ledge
7. Blank Pages, Nevermind
8. The Cheap Cassettes, Valentine (Live at The Sunset Tavern)
9. mattcatastrophe71, Shooting Dirty Pool
10. The Regulars, Red Red Wine
11. Tiltwheel, Skyway
12. Justin Townes Earle, Can't Hardly Wait
13. The Dirty Truckers, Can't Hardly Wait
14. Orville Peck, Can't Hardly Wait
15. The Replacements, Make This Your Home
16. The Replacements, Trouble on the Way
17. The Replacements, Awake Tonight (Demo)
18. The Replacements, Hey Shadow (Demo)
19. The Replacements, Even If It's Cheap (Demo)
20. Old 97'S, Five Years
21. A Bunch Of Jerks, Moonage Daydream
22. Golden Smog, Starman
23. The Get Up Kids, Suffragette City
24. Charles De Goal, Hang On To Yourself
25. Miracle Legion, Ziggy Stardust
26. Old 97'S, Rocks Off
27. Louder Than Milk, Rip This Joint
28. The Gaslight Anthem, Tumbling Dice
29. Bill Janovitz, Sweet Virginia (w/Crown Victoria)
30. Street Dogs, Torn And Frayed
31. Pussy Galore, Loving Cup
32. The Dirty Truckers, All Down the Line
33. Bill Janovitz, Let it Loose (w/ Crown Victoria)
34. The Replacements, Tossin' n' Turnin'