The Ledge #555: This And That
Once again we have a show devoted primarily to material I've been listening to around the house. Honestly, since it was announced that Television's Tom Verlaine had passed away on January 28, 2023, I have wanted to do a little tribute to him on The Ledge. So tonight you can hear a handful of his classic Television and solo tunes. RIP.
There's also a wide variety of tunes that comprise almost 60 years of rock and roll. There's a handful of garage rock classics from the acclaimed Pebbles series. There's a track from one of Robert Gordon's collaborations with guitarist Link Wray. There's also a sort of tribute to Burt Bachrach in the form of a Stranglers cover that somehow caught my ear a day or so before the announcement of his death.
And there's also a couple of sets of new tunes, primarily songs that were cut from last week's new release episode, along with more cuts from recent Rum Bar Records releases. I've also premiered the newly reissued single from Popsicko on Big Stir Records, which was officially released today. (Look for a full album later this spring).
Don't think that I've forgotten about my yearlong sub-theme, "52 Weeks of Teenage Kicks". This week's submission is from a great friend who has not only been a Ledge listener for over a decade but he's a bigtime supporter of RealPunkRadio in general. Kingbubbatruck, aka Brent Dowell, sent the show a fabulous, slowed-down version that is perfection. Thank you, Brent.
Speaking of the Teenage Kicks theme, I was given the opportunity to be a guest writer on S.W. Lauden's Remember the Lightning substack. The piece was publsihed this past Thursday, so please go give it a read here! Thank you, sir, for the opportunity!
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE SHOW!
1. kingbubbatruck, Teenage Kicks
2. Television, See No Evil
3. Television, Marquee Moon
4. Television, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
5. Tom Verlaine, The Grip Of Love
6. Tom Verlaine, Always
7. R.E.M., 1,000,000
8. Loose Rails, Dontcha Come Around
9. The Stranglers, Walk on By
10. Stiff Little Fingers, 78 Rpm
11. The Cramps, Psychotic Reaction (Live)
12. The Raincoats, Fairytale in the Supermarket
13. Popsicko, Same Old Me
14. The Hollywood Stars, Still Around
15. Johnny and the Rotten, I Wanna Hold Your Hand
16. The Beatpack, Footsteps, Echo
17. The Tambles, Got Me Going
18. The Shang Hi Los, Monsieur Valentine
19. The Laissez Fairs, Real Good Time In 1969
20. Screeching Weasel, Falling Apart
21. The Heavy Sixers, Soft Soap Solution
22. Robert Gordon with Link Wray, Red Hot
23. Bobby Fuller, Wine Wine Wine
24. The Satans, Makin Deals
25. Nobody's Children, Good Times
26. The Sons Of Adam, Mr Sun (Live)
27. The Fender IV, Malibu Run
28. Trashmen, New Generation
29. The Road, You Rub Me the Wrong Way
30. Little Boy Blues, I Can Only Give You Everything
31. Quasi, Shitty Is Pretty