The Ledge #567: New Releases, Pt. 1 (RSD Edition)
Thanks to last week's unseasonably chilly weather, I found myself hooking up a turntable to my podcast mixer. Over the course of the next few hours I dgitized the pile of records I had picked up on Record Store Day a few weeks ago. (Why do they no longer include download codes?)
Once finished, I decided that this wonderful pile of music deserved it's own show, and since the start of every month commences with a "new release" episode (or two), why not spotlight this music? Technically, these are all new releases as they came out on the same day, even if some of the music dates back sixty years.
So that's what we have tonight. Two hours of Record Store Day highlights. From garage rock compilations to long out print albums to live recordings to specially recorded rarities, tonight's show is varied in not only years but genres. There should be something for everybody. But true new music fans should not worry, as next week's second part will be a more traditional "new release", and I have a ton of great material set aside for the show.
Of course, the one non-RSD track is this week's edition of the "52 Weeks of Teenage Kicks" series. I've selected one of the more popular versions of the tune. The Northern Irish rockers Ash released it as a b-side back in 2001, and reportedly still ocassionally pulls it out in concert.
And once again, I must reiterate that I'm looking for brand new recordings of The Undertones' classic. If you have the capability, or you have friends in a band, please submit a version. BTW, in two weeks I will be premiering a brand new version by a band that all Ledge fans are familiar with.
1. Ash - Teenage Kicks
2. Son Volt - Sometimes You've Got To Stop Chasing Rainbows
3. Sir Douglas Quintet - She's About a Mover
4. Wilco - Heavy Metal Drummer
5. The John Doe Folk Trio - As I Went Out One Morning
6. Jonathan Richman - Since She Started To Ride
7. The Sonics - The Witch
8. The Music Machine - Talk Talk
9. Syndicate Of Sound - Little Girl
10. The Other Half - Mr. Pharmacist
11. The Caps - Dance a Little Longer
12. The Jay Jays - Come Back If You Dare
13. Ash Tray - What Can I Do
14. Honest Men - Help!
15. Marble Phrogg - Connection
16. Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk
17. Frank Black - That Burnt Out Rock 'n' Roll
18. Pixies - Where Is My Mind?
19. Alan Vega - Bye Bye Bayou
20. The Contortions - Contort Yourself
21. The Ramones - We Want The Airwaves
22. The Ramones - This Business Is Killing Me
23. Rich Kids - Hung on You
24. The Pogues - Repeal Of The Licensing Laws
25. Ian McCulloch - Love in Veins
26. The Donnas - I Don't Wanna Rock 'N' Roll Toight
27. The Donnas - Strutter
28. Hüsker Dü - Do You Remember?
29. Hüsker Dü - Chinese Rock
30. Soul Asylum - Someone To Shove
31. Soul Asylum - Ooh La La
32. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Whatever Happened To My Rock And Roll