The Ledge #726: Covers
You guys all know my rules about the cover version episodes - once the folder is full it's time for a show. This time around, it's also perfect timing. As I was putting this week's show together, I discovered that Trash Kickers had put out a live video of them covering "Can't Hardly Wait" at their May album release show.
Oh, yeah, I had to include that. Here's why I love this band so much. Over the years, I've received dozens and dozens of press releases stating that this band or that album is reminiscent of The Replacements. They rarely are. In fact, many tracks on their debut record, Way Out Somehow sound like discarded Paul Westerberg tunes. Very good Paul Westerberg tunes, in fact.
And while I was at it, another Facebook post reminded me that in 2013 Paul Westerberg had produced a band called The Silks, and on the b-side to their 7 inch had played guitar and sang on an obscure Rolling Stones song called "One More Try". Yep, I had to pull that out of the archives.
Overall, this is one of the most interesting cover shows I've ever put together. You have the return of Strawberry Alarm Clock. You have Public Image Ltd's Jah Wobble covering the Beatles. There are more tracks from the upcoming Jem Records Celebrates Bob Dylan album. There's The Routes covering the Velvet Underground. There are tracks from the third volume of Drunk Dial's Fake series. The list goes on and on.
There's also an eye witness account of the live show included on Camper Van Beethoven's reissue of II & III, as I was there!!!
What's your favorite cover?
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE SHOW!
1. Trash Kickers - Can't Hardly Wait
2. THE SILKS - One More Try
3. Chris Stamey - Ruby Tuesday (feat. Alex Chilton & Pat Sansone)
4. Chris Stamey - Hey Bulldog (feat. Jody Stephens)
5. Strawberry Alarm Clock - Day Tripper
6. Jah Wobble and Tian Qiyi - Tomorrow Never Knows
7. The Weeklings - Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
8. The Cynz - Neighborhood Bully
9. Johnathan Pushkar - Route 66
10. Numb Surprise - Strange Brew
11. DEAD STAR BOYS - PLASTIC AGE
12. The Riffs - Join the Professionals
13. Stupidity - World Shut Your Mouth
14. Stupidity - BBC
15. Camper Van Beethoven - (I Was So) Wasted
16. Camper Van Beethoven - Careful With That Axe Eugene/Interstellar Overdrive
17. Camper Van Beethoven - I'm Not Like Everybody Else
18. Keddies Resort - Garbage Truck
19. The Serfers - I've Got Something To Shout About
20. Merel/Andrea Manges - Make Your Own Kind Of Music
21. Sourpunch - Going Up The Country
22. PEDICO - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow
23. PEDICO - One Fine Day
24. Bob Bert - Pablo Picasso
25. Bob Bert - Foggy Notion
26. The Bad Beats - Take Me Back
27. The Bad Beats - She's Your Lover
28. The Bad Beats - Mr Soul
29. The Routes - I Am Waiting For The Man
30. The Routes - There She Goes Again
31. Die Toten Hosen - A Message To You Rudy
32. Red Rockers - I'm So Bored With the U.S.A.
33. Golden Shitters - Chainsaw
34. THE BOBBY LEES - 50 Ft
35. Glowbox - Junior's Farm
36. Monda - What's Bugging You (Crackin' Up)
37. Summer Cannibals - Teenage Kicks



Comments