Sad News - Let It Be Records in MPLS Will Close

When I was a kid, my mom used to tell people that I learned how to
read off the labels of the 45s my older brothers had passed on to me.
While it did not provide an extensive vocabulary, by the age of 5 I
certainly knew who the Beatles were and their song titles. Later I
progressed to LPs (again, passed on) that I wore out beyond
recognition with that cheap little phonograph that my parents had
bought for me. I was hooked and I never turned back. Music has always
been the background to my life. I knew when I was young that I wanted
to work in a record store, and just after turning 16, I was. I wound
my way through, working at various stores, knowing that someday I would
own one of my own. In 1987, my dream came true. I've always strived
to have the best store possible. Over the years, many co-workers have
passed through the doors (Paulie, Sam, RIP). I credit them, as much
as myself, for making our store a success over these years. And of
course our customers who have supported us in surviving retail for 18
years.

Over the past 5 years, the music industry has changed dramatically.
What did not change was our desire to maintain a great store despite
the changes. Music was always our concern. No bongs, incense,
refrigerators, etc. Just music. Who knows how the music world will
change in the future, but there will ALWAYS be great music. There
will always be great record stores (virtual or brick and mortar).
Independent record stores are the lifeblood of the industry. I
encourage anyone reading this to support indie stores, as they are
ground zero for the music community.

Let It Be Records will be closing our doors on or around June 15th. A
redevelopment of our block has led me to the decision of whether to
relocate the store, and I have decided not to do so. There are many
reasons for my choice, some personal, some business, but it is my
choice. Even if we stayed until the full length of our lease next
year, I had already made the decision not renew it. I've owned the
store for almost half my life, and feel I really need to change
gears. I will be concentrating on my mail order business of rare
vinyl and CDs, based at www.letitbe.com. My co-workers will go on
shaping the local music
scene in their own ways. Many are DJs who spin their musical
favorites regularly.

Thanks again to all the customers over the years, all my co-workers,
the bands/musicians who have supported our store with in-store
performances, my
parents & family, my wife Kellie (owner of Via's Vintage Wear-24th &
Hennepin), and my dear departed dog Calvin. I couldn't have, and
wouldn't have done it without you.

Let It Be,
Ryan Cameron
Owner

Comments

Popular Posts