The Ledge, Episode 53: Hudson's Rockin' Christmas Extravaganza

Originally, I had no plans to do a Christmas show. While I had collected quite a few quality holiday songs over the years, I didn't believe I had enough material to put on a quality show.

I changed my mind last month, however, after downloading my monthly allotment from emusic. In my search for new music, I discovered a wonderful two-disc set of Christmas garage rock. Entitled "Happy Birthday Baby Jesus", this Sympathy for the Record Industry release collected holiday tunes by bands such as the Supersuckers, Muffs, Rocket From the Crypt, and so many more.

Tracks from this set, along with lots of other tracks buried in my messy library, are now presented in my first annual Rockin' Christmas Extravaganza. Also included in the set is a short tribute to the late, great Captain Beefheart, who passed away on December 17. Fans of the Ron and Fez show on Sirius XM will also be familiar with a tune from the great Sherwin Sleeves, who is now selling a collection of his material on his website.

As with all Ledge episodes, one can download this show directly from either iTunes or mevio, or tune into realpunkradio on Christmas Eve at 5 pm central time.

Here's the setlist:


1. Stiff Little Fingers, White Christmas

2. Captain Beefheart, There Ain't No Santa Claus On the Evenin' Stage

3. Tom Waits, Silent Night/Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis

4. Sherwin Sleeves, The La La Christmas Song

5. Pogues, Fairytale of New York City (1987 2nd Demo)

6. Victoria Spivey, I Ain't Gonna Let You See My Santa Claus

7. Holly Golightly, Christmas Tree On Fire

8. Best coast & Wavves, Got Something For You

9. The Muffs, Nothing For Me

10. Snap-Her, I Hate Christmas

11. The Shitbirds, Christmas Is a Comin' (May God Bless You)

12. X, Santa Claus is Coming to Town

13. X, Jingle Bells

14. Yo La Tengo, Rock 'n' Roll Santa

15. Pointed Sticks, Power Pop Santa

16. Peter and the Test Tube Babies, I'm Getting Pissed For Christmas

17. The Fleshtones, Christmas With Bazooka Joe

18. Julian Casablancas, I Wish It Was Christmas Today

19. Satans Cheerleaders, Christmastime is Here Again

20. The Ramones, Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight)

21. The Greedies, A Merry Jingle

22. The Sonics, Santa Clause

23. Billy Childish, Santa Clause

24. The Dickies, Silent Night

25. The Vandals, Oi to the World

26. The New Bomb Turks, Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)

27. The Humpers, Run Run Rudolph

28. The Mono Men, Christmastime Is For Sinners

29. The Quadrajets, Christmastime is comin'

30. Deer Tick, Christmas All Summer

31. The Supersuckers, We'll Call it Christmas

32. Superchunk, Child's Christmas In Wales

33. Paul Westerberg, Always In a Manger

Comments

Popular Posts